Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Audio Tapes!



These are audio tapes from many years ago. They were sent back and forth from America to Norway among family, sharing news and songs and other stuff. I'm (James) excited to hear these, to hear what the voices of my ancestors were like, and to know a little more about their story. I imagine many of the tapes are in Norwegian, and so there will be an added challenge for a mono-language guy like me! We found tapes in the Egeland home, and here in the old house. The tape recorder you see here belongs to Øyvind, son of Dina, who lives in Egersund.

Do you have tapes from that period? If so, let me know! aalgaard@gmail.com I would love to hear about them.

Gunnar Skollingsberg remembers watching his mother Dina rent a machine like this from the local library so she could hear the news from the family and then, she would record news and songs and send the tapes on.

No comments: